Always-available distributed computation

#computation

On my continued exploration of what MaidSafe is I am currently trying to piece together the “computation” story. One thing I am currently looking for in a distributed network is shared (and likely paid for) computational power.

The two use cases currently on my mind:

• An AWS Lambda type of system where massively parallel computation can be done where it makes sense by distributing it across many independent “functions”.
  • Some thing like a mobile-to-cloud interface where a smartphone (with less computational power) can query the network (with much more computational power) to do things like AI processing.

I am trying to figure out how that might work with MaidSafe (or the SAFE Network, still not clear on the distinction here between the two names) as the only mention of computation I have found so far has been a brief mention on the FAQ as a plan and in relation to Storj.

I was originally interested in Ethereum do to what I thought was the distributed computational system potential but have become less interested since the hacking and forking events.

To the people that currently work on MaidSafe has information on the roadmap and timelines for “always on” distributed computation on the SAFE Network and what work there is left to be done?

(Once I learn more about the community and network I might be keen on helping out where I can.)

3 Likes

It is quite simple and nothing more than :-

MAIDSAFE is the company name of the company that is developing open source software to make the SAFE network possible. The company derived its name from the two names MAID & SAFE

SAFE network is the network that will be created when the software is up and running

As far as computation is concerned, its all an idea at the moment and nothing concrete has be set out. Maybe you can help out in how computation should be done, OR some of the features that computation should have

2 Likes

MAIDSAFE is the company name of the company that is developing open source software to make the SAFE network possible. The company derived its name from the two names MAID & SAFE

SAFE network is the network that will be created when the software is up and running

Thanks @rob think I got it now. :slight_smile:

As far as computation is concerned, its all an idea at the moment and nothing concrete has be set out. Maybe you can help out in how computation should be done, OR some of the features that computation should have

Thanks I’ll be sure to give it some thought. I’ve been looking at Crust and wondering if that is the place for me to start looking at. Also, interested in the Vault (but not sure which repo that is). As for digging into computation I think I will have to get a bit more familiar with the SAFE Network before I can start formulating some ideas about how it might work.

Sounds like there is no whitepaper or ideas about it yet though?

No, there’s no whitepaper on computation on SAFE yet. We do have topics on the other forum though. Maidsafe is focused on other things at the moment, as SAFE is fully P2P. So Crust and Routing have been the main focus so far. Nodes need to communicate over P2P and reach consensus on everything. Next steps are “data republish” where all data is secured, even if big errors on the network or internet occur. After that the devs move in to Safecoin and after that smart contracts and computation.

Here’s the Vault Repo.

2 Likes

Thanks for that @polpolrene, that helps me orient myself a bit better in the current state of MaidSafe as well as the current important codebases. :+1:t4:

1 Like