“app.webFetch is not a function” with safe_browser built from source

I have been setting up a private development network (for those who haven’t seen my numerous other support threads…) with the current status:
-5 vaults (had 8 but strange issues showed up until I cut them down to min_sec_size)
-Pre-built Peruse and WHM (using custom crust and routing files)
-Created public ID and website, uploaded sample info

When I attempt to build from source (pretty much followed the readme line by line with fresh checkout) then copyied in crust and routing files I am unable to browse my test safesites.

Why would this happen when building from source but not with the prebuilt browser binary?

This could again be down to uri registration. If that were failing the app never receives its authenticated state.

Does running xdg-open safe-auth://something trigger your built browser instance?

Ahh, xdg-open, the bane of my existence it seems.
I have attempted to reset everything by:
rm ~/.local/share/applications/maidsafe*
(manually clearing relevant mimeinfo.cache entries)

For whatever reason I end up with the following when launching the browser:
“xdg-open: file 'safe-bmv0lm1haw” …" does not exist" (this value is now listed under the authenticator entry in maidsafenet-ltd-safe-browser.desktop )

My system default browser is Chrome, but this also launches firefox (as well as running xdg-open safe-auth:test)

Sadly, this feels like it is becoming a Linux support issue rather than maidsafe, it is confusing as to why firefox is stepping in when it isn’t even the default browser nor defined in the .desktop entries.

I also get this error with the pre compiled version for OSX:

It works on version 0.6.0 that I still have. I tried to remove Library/Application Support/Safe Browser folder but with no result.

You may need to remove 0.6.0 @Yerontour. OSX and its url binding can be fickle.

(We’re looking at alternatives to this IPC process, as it is truuuly a pain :expressionless: )

2 Likes

I just ran into the same issue…

+[benno@pc safe-browser-v0.11.1-linux-x64-dev]$ ./safe-browser --args --mock --preload
xdg-open: file 'safe-bmv0lm1hawrzywzllnnhzmutynjvd3nlcg:bAEAAAABNE5QVWAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC' does not exist
xdg-open: file 'safe-bmv0lm1hawrzywzllnnhzmutynjvd3nlcg:bAEAAAAHTLWLFAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC' does not exist

Looking at the error I was curious as to why it says it thinks the URL is a ‘file’. I assume it has to do with the URL containing numbers. I trimmed down the URL, and safe-bmv0:test is seen as a file, while safe-bmv:test is not:

+[benno@pc ~]$ xdg-open safe-bmv0:test
xdg-open: file 'safe-bmv0:test' does not exist
+[benno@pc ~]$ xdg-open safe-bmv:test
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 881: x-www-browser: command not found
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 881: firefox: command not found
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 881: iceweasel: command not found
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 881: seamonkey: command not found
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 881: mozilla: command not found
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 881: epiphany: command not found
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 881: konqueror: command not found
Opening in existing browser session.

Edit: Might be related to this bug? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=104973

Edit: Seems like it! However, an additional issue must be fixed. Desktop entry files somehow can’t have quoted values in Exec: https://askubuntu.com/q/189822

Opened an issue at the repo: https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_browser/issues/570

2 Likes

Nice one @bzee.

I’ve added a few thoughts on this and added to our project board so hopefully we can get some action on this for the next release :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.