Building the browser on raspberi pi

Hello !

I am switching my old power hungry and noisy desktop pc for a raspberry pi4 ( quite a nice little desktop machine btw ) , and I was trying to compile the safe browser from git, as there are no arm releases available yet.

I am facing an error during “NODE_ENV=dev yarn” :

make: Entering directory '/home/pi/archives/maidsafe/safe_browser/node_modules/ref/build'
  CXX(target) Release/obj.target/binding/src/binding.o
g++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-m64’
make: *** [binding.target.mk:101: Release/obj.target/binding/src/binding.o] Error 1

I tried adding --arch=armv7 as an extra argument to yarn, but it doesn’t change .
I tried searching what triggers the -m64 but so far with no avail.

Any suggestion ?

By the way, are there plans for arm releases for the future Safe applications ?

1 Like

According to this post, it’s npm build commands, which means you want to add this over here. That should hopefully get it at least passed in at the right point during build.

Super interested to see if you get it going!

I would love to see our stuff on as many platforms as possible. There’s been arm chat in the past, and it’s something we’ll surely be aiming for w/ IoT. But it’ll be down the line, most likely.

3 Likes

Thank you ! this allowed me to go further, but now I seem to be stuck by :

still digging

2 Likes

oh node-ffi. How i love you. Let me count the ways…

We’ve taken some long looks at potential options to move away from node-ffi. There’s some contenders for sure.

3 Likes

Maybe this would help?
“if you are interested in ARM builds, check out Open Build Service which can build AppImages for 32-bit and 64-bit Intel and ARM architectures. Instructions:
https://github.com/probonopd/AppImageKit/wiki/Using-Open-Build-Service

1 Like

@joshuef here is a snapshot of alternatives… to node ffi courtesy of Codescoop with whom I help out.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.