Creating an outside DigitalOcean Alpha Test Network

Hey everyone,

Me and my web team are in the middle of trying to get an outside SAFE Network running. We have bought some DigitalOcean droplets and are using the safe_vault code from Github.

Does anyone (@bluebird) have experience with this? Or has anyone successfully done this in the past?

Need to get this up and running to secure some data for a project here, and have additional MaidSafe test networks running.

If anyone here can provide general guidance it will be very much appreciated. By web team members will be here to ask additional questions as they need.

Thanks so much guys, please give some pointers :slight_smile:

The procedure described in How to run a local test network is also applicable for a global private network with some adaptations:

• choose a port number and set the “tcp_acceptor_port” parameter of “safe_vault.crust.config” file with this value.

• select the list of vaults users will connect to. Then set the corresponding list in of ip address + port number pairs in “hard_coded_contacts” parameter of both “SAFE Browser.crust.config” file (for the browser on clients) and “safe_vault.crust.config” file (for the vaults).

• choose a network name and set this name to “network_name” parameter of both “SAFE Browser.crust.config” file and “safe_vault.crust.config” file.

You can use the screen utility to avoid maintaining a window constantly opened for each vault. You can also use the tee command to display output to the screen and simultaneously store it in a log file. For example, to launch the first vault the commands could be:

screen -S SV
RUST_LOG=info ./safe_vault -f | tee vault.log
Ctrl-A + Ctrl-D

And later screen -r SV each time you want to recall the screen.

For subsequent vaults (on other droplets), do the same except that you must omit the -f argument.

Note: I did that a long time ago for some tests, so I may have forgotten some elements.

Client side, an empty string must be entered instead of an invitation token. This is OK for a private network you control. But if your network is public, things are more complex because to avoid spams you must manage invitations. Source of gen_invites program is available, but I don’t know how it works.

If you only need a network for some internal tests, the simplest way is to keep your “SAFE Browser.crust.config” file secret, so that nobody outside your company can connect to your network.

8 Likes

@bluebird? He is back? Hurray!

1 Like

I was considering doing this as well in cloud or a local network but haven’t been able to make the time. The posts from @tfa and @mav on this are great, Thank you! In addition to protecting the crust config, you will want to make sure you have some good firewall rules and protections in place to make sure no one can get out-of-band access to the web through your network. This can be done by blocking all connections in-out on each node using iptables (except node to node in your network). Sometimes the cloud providers (such as aws) will let you do this from the web management gui. After that you can allow access to only one or more entrance nodes for your office IP on a specific port.

1 Like

Yes, the firewall is an element I have forgotten. I was using Vultur which has a simple GUI for this:

• defined a rule that only allows SSH and the port chosen for the vaults

• associated this rule to any server I created

DigitalOcean also has a GUI for this (see this tutorial), but I didn’t use it, so I can’t comment on its usage. Either I missed it, or it wasn’t existing at that time (almost one year ago).

I am trying to connect to my local test network with the safe browser. Getting this error

D 18-03-01 12:13:08.032209 Node(7b3017..()) Client PublicId(name: a94931..) rejected: Routing table has 0 entries. 4 required. D 18-03-01 12:13:08.032425 Node(7b3017..()) Disconnecting a94931... Calling crust::Service::disconnect.

Can anyone please tell me what does it mean?

1 Like

Do you run several vaults as specified in the procedure? (at least min_section_size, first one with -f flag and following ones without it)

Thanks, I could solve the issue later. I did a mistake in the config file. Another problem I am facing now is if I stop the safe vault instance and start again, the data stored earlier is lost. Can you please suggest something for this?

1 Like

Thanks, that’s @Nayeem from SAFE-FS

If anyone please has any thoughts on his question. I suggested making vaults on multiple droplets so the data gets shuffles around in case one goes down, but don’t know how to go about connecting them?

Hey Will, this is referenced in the instructions:

1 Like

Further to my email to you @Nayeem, if you stop and restart a vault the data on that vault will be lost, no way around that one atm. As @WhiteOutMashups mentioned, running a network of vaults on multiple droplets correctly will enable data to be retained by the network in the event a node goes offline.

3 Likes