I’m building a little tool to help developers share code snippets with each other without leaving the comfort of their terminals, IDE, editor, whatever.
The idea behind it is very simple:
Be the most convenient tool to share a file or a snippet of code with another person (period)
We built a handy CLI program to achieve this with some bonus bells and whistles. Please consider taking a look: https://github.com/fabricio7p/gistit.
- Pass a file as input with some optional parameters like password, author name, description, and colorscheme.
- It gets hashed and sent to centralized server
- You send the hash to your friend
- Runs the cli passing the hash as parameter and previews the snippet directly in the terminal with syntax highlighting, or save it locally.
Since the whole point is being convenient and end copy/pasting code in inadequate places. We also have some ideas in mind:
- auto copy hash to clipboard (working)
- web app to preview online
- build IDE extensions for non TUI fans, e.g. Vscode, IntelliJ, …
Currently the application runs on centralized Firebase functions and I’m interested in knowing if the networking part of the app could make use of Safe Network to be more independent.