Help me understand how this idea could work with SN integration

Hi there!

I’m building a little tool to help developers share code snippets with each other without leaving the comfort of their terminals, IDE, editor, whatever.

The idea behind it is very simple:
Be the most convenient tool to share a file or a snippet of code with another person (period)

How?
We built a handy CLI program to achieve this with some bonus bells and whistles. Please consider taking a look: https://github.com/fabricio7p/gistit.

TLDR;
You:

1. Pass a file as input with some optional parameters like password, author name, description, and colorscheme.
  2. It gets hashed and sent to centralized server
  3. You send the hash to your friend

Your friend:

1. Runs the cli passing the hash as parameter and previews the snippet directly in the terminal with syntax highlighting, or save it locally.

Since the whole point is being convenient and end copy/pasting code in inadequate places. We also have some ideas in mind:

• auto copy hash to clipboard (working)
  • web app to preview online
  • build IDE extensions for non TUI fans, e.g. Vscode, IntelliJ, …

Currently the application runs on centralized Firebase functions and I’m interested in knowing if the networking part of the app could make use of Safe Network to be more independent.

Nice project - I think simple file sharing is a very useful Safe app. It would be simple to create a file, PUT this to Safe Network and use the hash to receive it. You can do this from the CLI, and once the API is updated use that as well.

The friction will be that anyone wishing to publish snippets this way would need a ‘Safe’ and some credit (Safe Network Tokens) to store the data.

Someone accessing this will not need credit or a Safe, but needs an app or command line program which can access Safe in order to retrieve the data. That’s not difficult in principle, but not supported in non-Safe browsers. You could enable that by providing this part as a web/internet service for folks who are not able to access Safe directly.

2 Likes