How to build the SAFE Browser and upload a website with Mock-Vault

That is unfortunate for you.
Maybe something Ubuntu specific, I’ve always had the ‘Allow/Deny’ authenticator dialog box.

1 Like

I have a Mint bootable USB somewhere - might give that a go and see if it helps…

1 Like

Are you able to run other safe apps like safe-vfs?
Does the authenticvator dialog box work for them as previously?

No, haven’t looked at it yet. Maybe tomorrow.
fyi: I’m not a web developer, so i’m not that familiar (yet) with npm, node.js etc.

1 Like

I have same symptoms as @southside, but on Debian.

You and me both pal. Im here under false pretences. I’m really a screwdrivers/hardware kinda guy who just plunges in until I get stuck and shout for help. I am no developer, never taken a single days software course in my puff.

That said, I know enough to know that if @happybeing has the same symptoms on Debian, but it works for you on Mint, then the issue must lie in the tiny differences between the distros.
I imagine Debian as the daddy, Ubuntu as the grown up son with a bit more polish and Mint as the incredibly cool grandson with amazing dress sense.
But until we know exactly what environment was getting used at MaidSafe maybe I am talking mince…
It has been known to happen…

Why does the code to make this dialog box

work on Mint but nit on Debian and Ubuntu. We also know it works on a Mac but I know nothing of these things. Its not a huge sample, I may be barking up the wrong tree but the fact that we seemed to need to install different dependencies may be a clue.
@frabrunelle can you tell is who else was working on this and what distro they were using?

EDIT:
Can @ben @hunterlester @bochaco @Krishna tell us if this could be related to this issue ?

1 Like

Just to add to the confusion it works for me now on Ubuntu 15.10. Before I was getting stuck at the authentication stage but I wiped everything and followed @draw’s instructions to the letter and it worked. I can’t view my website, but I guess that’s the next chapter.

2 Likes

I’m happy for you. Blows my rather unlikely theory about differences in thee Debian family theory to shreds but thats what theories are for - getting disproven sooner or later.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought I’d better stick my oar in before you want too far down that particular blind alley!

1 Like

thank you .
Hopefully one of @frabrunelle @ben @bochaco @Krishna or @hunterlester can let us kno if it could be related to the Safe browser auth request pop-up error issue

Hi @southside, do you think it’s worthy to try out by wiping everything as @JPL did? We did test this with Debian 8.
I guess you are using the correct versions for node and rustc, and make sure you install the dependencies for the web-hosting app. It’s crucial to switch to dev branch right after you clone the repo.

1 Like

Thank you - its working now after a complete wipe and reinstall.
Still can’t see what I did differently but I get the auth dialog now.
BEd now its past 4am here and I’ll test furthe r in the morning

Thank you

2 Likes

Just tried, and I believe that the browser auth only works with the release version, which means have to do the package. Once I did that, the auth dialog pops up in the browser. Hope that clarifies a bit.

2 Likes

And the same holds true to the accompanied sample apps, eg. safe_hosting_manager, etc. it has to be the released package in order to work properly.

2 Likes

OK, I probably missed something so will go through carefully when I get time. Plenty of clues in these posts - and I am on node 6.10.2 still so please don’t give me any sympathy :wink:

So @southside you are ahead of me. Watch your back man!

1 Like

When you run npm run pack-authenticator, it will run one of the two shell scrips in this directory.

For example, if you’re on Linux or macOS, it will run this script:

Let me know if that answers your question :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, I’m good, I can confirm that if you do as you are told (mostly - I’m still on node 6.10.2 :wink: ) rather than miss vital steps like installing the prerequisites for keytar it works on LMDE / debian 8. I have a Web Hosting Manager that authorises (if I log into my keyring :blush:) and lets me create a public ID. Not gone further than that yet so node version might still trip me up. Thanks everyone!

@frabrunelle Thanks for answering my curiosity :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats! yeah the node version shouldn’t matter, as I’m always on node v7.2.0, and compiled without problems.

2 Likes

I have TWO public IDs
Eat my dust!!!

2 Likes

Its all gone kinda quiet…

I can now load the web_hosting_manager and authenticate
Next problem: My sites will not load. Individual index.html files will sometimes load.

I create a public ID, southside create a service nostrils, click on it and upload the relevant directory with index.html and css and img subfolders. I know this works cos its the same very simple site I have been using to test the past few months
In the terminal I see
gvfs-open: safe://nostrils.southside/index.html: error opening location: The specified location is not supported

Ignoring this I go to the browser and enter safe://nostrils.southside

However if I enter safe://nostrils.southside/index.html, my handsome face is shown in all its glory.

The authorisation link doesnt work though…

ALSO:
when I try safe_examples/demo_app and do

npm install
npm run package
$ ./app_dist/safe_demo_app-v0.6.2-linux-x64/safe_demo_app

no authorisation dialog box is shown and it fails likes this