How to build the SAFE Browser and upload a website with Mock-Vault

OK, I probably missed something so will go through carefully when I get time. Plenty of clues in these posts - and I am on node 6.10.2 still so please don’t give me any sympathy :wink:

So @southside you are ahead of me. Watch your back man!

1 Like

When you run npm run pack-authenticator, it will run one of the two shell scrips in this directory.

For example, if you’re on Linux or macOS, it will run this script:

Let me know if that answers your question :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, I’m good, I can confirm that if you do as you are told (mostly - I’m still on node 6.10.2 :wink: ) rather than miss vital steps like installing the prerequisites for keytar it works on LMDE / debian 8. I have a Web Hosting Manager that authorises (if I log into my keyring :blush:) and lets me create a public ID. Not gone further than that yet so node version might still trip me up. Thanks everyone!

@frabrunelle Thanks for answering my curiosity :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats! yeah the node version shouldn’t matter, as I’m always on node v7.2.0, and compiled without problems.

2 Likes

I have TWO public IDs
Eat my dust!!!

2 Likes

Its all gone kinda quiet…

I can now load the web_hosting_manager and authenticate
Next problem: My sites will not load. Individual index.html files will sometimes load.

I create a public ID, southside create a service nostrils, click on it and upload the relevant directory with index.html and css and img subfolders. I know this works cos its the same very simple site I have been using to test the past few months
In the terminal I see
gvfs-open: safe://nostrils.southside/index.html: error opening location: The specified location is not supported

Ignoring this I go to the browser and enter safe://nostrils.southside

However if I enter safe://nostrils.southside/index.html, my handsome face is shown in all its glory.

The authorisation link doesnt work though…

ALSO:
when I try safe_examples/demo_app and do

npm install
npm run package
$ ./app_dist/safe_demo_app-v0.6.2-linux-x64/safe_demo_app

no authorisation dialog box is shown and it fails likes this

safe_examples/demo_app is not compatible with the new API. The only example apps that are currently compatible with the new API are the ones mentioned in the OP :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some updates got pulled in the repo:

2 Likes

I get a new error at npm run pack-authenticator

Compiling ffi_utils v0.1.0 (file:///home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/authenticator/native/ffi_utils)

error: struct field shorthands are unstable (see issue #37340)
  --> /home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/authenticator/native/ffi_utils/src/catch_unwind.rs:54:21
   |
54 |                     error_code,
   |                     ^^^^^^^^^^

error: aborting due to previous error

error: Could not compile `ffi_utils`.

Build failed, waiting for other jobs to finish...

error: build failed

less /home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/authenticator/npm-debug.log

0 info it worked if it ends with ok
1 verbose cli [ ‘/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/bin/node’,
1 verbose cli ‘/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/bin/npm’,
1 verbose cli ‘run’,
1 verbose cli ‘build-libs’,
1 verbose cli ‘features=mock-routing’ ]
2 info using npm@3.10.10
3 info using node@v6.9.5
4 verbose run-script [ ‘prebuild-libs’, ‘build-libs’, ‘postbuild-libs’ ]
5 info lifecycle beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0~prebuild-libs: beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0
6 silly lifecycle beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0~prebuild-libs: no script for prebuild-libs, continuing
7 info lifecycle beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0~build-libs: beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0
8 verbose lifecycle beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0~build-libs: unsafe-perm in lifecycle true
9 verbose lifecycle beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0~build-libs: PATH: /home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/lib/node_modules/npm/bin/node-gyp-bin:/home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/authenticator/node_modules/.bin:/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/lib/node_modules/npm/bin/node-gyp-bin:/home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/node_modules/.bin:/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/lib/node_modules/npm/bin/node-gyp-bin:/home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/node_modules/.bin:/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/lib/node_modules/npm/bin/node-gyp-bin:/home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/node_modules/.bin:/home/willie/.cargo/bin:/home/willie/.rbenv/shims:/home/willie/.rbenv/bin:/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/bin:/home/willie/.cargo/bin:/home/willie/.local/share/umake/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/db/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin:/usr/local/go.bin:/home/willie/projects/fabric/bin
10 verbose lifecycle beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0~build-libs: CWD: /home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/authenticator
11 silly lifecycle beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0~build-libs: Args: [ ‘-c’, ‘node ./build_libs.js “features=mock-routing”’ ]
12 silly lifecycle beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0~build-libs: Returned: code: 1 signal: null
13 info lifecycle beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0~build-libs: Failed to exec build-libs script
14 verbose stack Error: beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0 build-libs: node ./build_libs.js "features=mock-routing"
14 verbose stack Exit status 1
14 verbose stack at EventEmitter. (/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/utils/lifecycle.js:255:16)
14 verbose stack at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
14 verbose stack at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:191:7)
14 verbose stack at ChildProcess. (/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/utils/spawn.js:40:14)
14 verbose stack at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
14 verbose stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7)
14 verbose stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:877:16)
14 verbose stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:226:5)
15 verbose pkgid beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0
16 verbose cwd /home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/authenticator
17 error Linux 4.4.0-75-generic
18 error argv “/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/bin/node” “/home/willie/.nvm/versions/node/v6.9.5/bin/npm” “run” “build-libs” “features=mock-routing”
19 error node v6.9.5
20 error npm v3.10.10
21 error code ELIFECYCLE
22 error beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0 build-libs: node ./build_libs.js "features=mock-routing"
22 error Exit status 1
23 error Failed at the beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator@0.1.0 build-libs script ‘node ./build_libs.js “features=mock-routing”’.
23 error Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
23 error If you do, this is most likely a problem with the beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator package,
23 error not with npm itself.
23 error Tell the author that this fails on your system:
23 error node ./build_libs.js “features=mock-routing”
23 error You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
23 error npm bugs beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator
23 error Or if that isn’t available, you can get their info via:
23 error npm owner ls beaker-plugin-safe-authenticator
23 error There is likely additional logging output above.
24 verbose exit [ 1, true ]
/home/willie/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser/authenticator/npm-debug.log (END)

willie@gagarin:~/projects/maidsafe/safe_browser$ rustc -V && node -v && npm -v
rustc 1.16.0 (30cf806ef 2017-03-10)
v6.9.5

Hey @southside, I will double check tomorrow and upgrade the tutorial but I’m quite sure that error is due to an upgrade to rust v1.17 from the safe_client_libs, v1.16 is not supported anymore since last few days. Please upgrade rust to 1.17 and it should be fine.

2 Likes

@bochaco

Thank you. That works just fine now - it compiles and I can log in, get the auth dialog box OK and upload a simple site - Thank you.

As for the “wrong” version of rust – I was following exactly what worked last week. I had to set rustup overide to 1.16.0 as per the script from @draw.
1.17.0 specifically failed last week. I now know about the override command in rustup from that problem.

My apologies, it was late last night and I should have thought to check if a rust update would solve it.

Can we get a frequently updated header at the top of each tutorial stating exactly what the current prerequisite versions are?

1 Like

Is this error analogous to exceeding my quota of PUTs?
I thought this would be irrelevant when working locally with mock-routing?

I updated the rust beta which is v1.18 now and in safe_browser did

git pull
npm i
npm run rebuild
-etc-

There was no need to rebuild the web_hosting_manager as the git pull didn’t update anything but I now have a problem… I’m falling behind @Southside :blush:

I created an account in the browser and opened safe-auth, then ran the web_hosting_manager. I get to authorist it (click ‘Allow’) and the hosting manager shows the actions in response but then shows a small error dialogue which says “Fetching Access Info Failed: ERR_NO_SUCH_ENTRY”

The hosting manager console shows:

[PLUGINS] Loading from /home/mrh/src/safe_browser/dist/linux-unpacked/resources/app/node_modules
packagejson
[AUTO-UPDATE] Error: Disabled. Only available on macOS and Windows.
Registering protocol handler: safe
Registering protocol handler: safe-auth
Wiring up Web API: safeApp
Wiring up Web API: safeCipherOpt
Wiring up Web API: safeImmutableData
Wiring up Web API: safeCrypto
Wiring up Web API: safeCryptoKeyPair
Wiring up Web API: safeCryptoSecEncKey
Wiring up Web API: safeCryptoPubEncKey
Wiring up Web API: safeCryptoSignKey
Wiring up Web API: safeMutableData
Wiring up Web API: safeMutableDataEntries
Wiring up Web API: safeMutableDataKeys
Wiring up Web API: safeMutableDataValues
Wiring up Web API: safeMutableDataMutation
Wiring up Web API: safeMutableDataPermissions
Wiring up Web API: safeMutableDataPermissionsSet
Wiring up Web API: safeNfs
Wiring up Web API: safeAuthenticator

I’m using rustc 1.18 and node 6.10.3 on Debian. Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Yes. My good looks and charismatic misplaced modesty.

2 Likes

Not to be outdone, I’m getting a new error too.

Building the linux release of the SAFE browser

npm run release:linux

gives an error:

missing script: release:linux

Searching the npm-error.log for ‘linux’ doesn’t come up with anything obvious, at least not to me.

All packages are downloaded afresh, including node and Rust (v1.17.0). Any ideas?

Edit: should probably add I’m on a Debian 8 VM in Qubes.

For the browser

./dist/linux-unpacked/SAFEBrowser

was all I needed to get it started - after steps 1,2,3,4 and 6 from https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_browser/blob/dev/README.md

Ubuntu 16.04
willie@gagarin:~/projects/maidsafe/safe_examples/email_app$ node -v && npm -v && rustc -V
v6.9.5
rustc 1.16.0 (30cf806ef 2017-03-10)

Is that valid? I think you need:

npm run rebuild 
npm run pack-authenticator
npm run build
npm run package
1 Like

Duh. Yes I was following the wrong instructions. Thanks

1 Like

Confirmation that the process @happybeing used above works on Ubuntu 16.04

npm run rebuild 
npm run pack-authenticator
npm run build
npm run package

and then run it with
./dist/linux-unpacked/SAFEBrowser

I just rm -rf’d my safe_browser subdir and reinstalled with exactly these steps.

So the documentation is somewhat misleading, you need
npm run build
from step 5 of https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_browser/blob/dev/README.md

@frabrunelle Can you check that and amend the docs, please?

EDIT ah OK - I see you got it - good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now I get a different problem…
After rebuilding the browser as above and nuking web_hosting_manager and rebuilding that as well…

I make a new account in the browser authenticator and then attempt to create a new pulic ID.
But…

and we’re stuck.
The only menu item that does anything is File| clear Access Data which gives

which Ive seen before and haven’t reported - sorry…

BTW the keyboard shortcuts don’t work but lets not get too worked up about that detail just yet…