[RFC] Public Name System: Resolution and RDF

A domain

20 chars of :grinning:

What precisely is the domain referred by the domain name system? Itā€™s not like I couldnā€™t register a domain ending with whatever I like bestā€¦?

(yes - I just want to point out that the idea of domains doesnā€™t make too much sense in the context of safe - why should we introduce naming similarities if there is no connection on a technical level - sure if we call it DNS it would be obvious that the first part of a URL somehow resolves to the root of a websiteā€¦ But above that it is only misleadingā€¦ And this first part is just like anybody would expect it anywayā€¦? So where precisely is the motivation to try and create a similarity/association instead of just a fun name? )

By far the most import point here, when it comes to naming the entity, is what general end users understand the term to mean. What happens at a technical level will be almost entirely irrelevant in that regard.

Nearly everyone using the SAFE Network will encounter this entity, anyone creating an account will have the make a decision as to whether to create one, and most will. This will be very early on in the on-boarding process too.

Giving it a ā€˜funā€™ name, or an overly ambiguous name, just adds so much unnecessary friction, and we will end up having to explain what the entity means in a context the already understand. For example, imagine this when creating an account:

ā€œNow choose a funtag.ā€

Whatā€™s a funtag? Weā€™ll need to explain:

ā€œA funtag is like your own domain name on the network, you can use as an address for a site, or as your email addressā€

Why create the need for extra explanation, whatā€™s the point? The technical differences behind the scenes will be of close to zero relevance for almost all users, just as the technical details of the clearnet DNS is irrelevant to the majority of web users: itā€™s how they practically function for the user which is relevant, and is what now defines the word ā€œdomain nameā€.

Itā€™s really easy to test as well, just go and stop a few dozen people in the street and ask them what the phrase ā€œDomain Nameā€ means to them. Youā€™ll get answers like ā€œitā€™s the bit after the @ in an email addressā€ or ā€œitā€™s how people get to my websiteā€ or ā€œitā€™s what I type in the address barā€. It has no connection whatsoever to the servers or IP address ranges behind it all for the vast majority.

Domain Name has become a term that describes quite accurately what we are enabling for end users and, for them, will function in the way they expect. So I propose we use it.

3 Likes

Uhum - it will mean nothing to 90% of people - and most of the rest will tell you itā€™s a name for an ip address imho

The name chosen here is for a highly technical target audience if if coming with ā€˜domain nameā€™ in it and those will likely be a bit confused because it is misleading in the context of safe - and for the others just calling it ā€˜aliasā€™ or ā€˜referenceā€™ or simply ā€˜nameā€™ might be easier to understand/more intuitive :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You think that most people donā€™t have a definition for the word ā€œdomain nameā€?

This is really easily tested BTW. Iā€™ve already started that.

1 Like

Absolutely - I donā€™t have the slightest doubt most people have never heard of it (and just seen it as router setting but didnā€™t notice)

1 Like

The name for the system might be for a technical audience. But the name for the entity needs to be understandable by all users of the network, as theyā€™ll nearly all be confronted by it, and need to make a decision based on their understanding of it.

1 Like

I think we might be talking about two different things here.

I agree most with view the acronym DNS like some strange router setting, that they donā€™t know or need to get involved in.

But what Iā€™m discussing is not that; itā€™s the entity itself. What to call the name bit. What do people all the thing in the address bar, or after the @ in an email address.

Itā€™s a domain name to most, and this isnā€™t very technical, itā€™s the common understanding.

And if itā€™s not a domain name for most people? What is it? (itā€™s not hard to find out)

2/2 (electrical engineers => [I innocently asked and didnā€™t imply anything] names for ip addresses) on this side of the world so far

Edit:

The thing after the @ is your email provider - what else could it be? :man_shrugging: :wink:

Ps: possible that itā€™s just Germany that is living on the other side of the moon but I can guarantee you nobody (I know) would think of calling it the domain name here and calling it this for sure results in a needed explanation

But flip things round the other way, and (taking some new people) ask them what they think your fun-made-up-name is, or confront them with it in a user test, and theyā€™ll need extra explanation. And youā€™ll probably end up having to resort to ā€œitā€™s like a domain nameā€.

Iā€™d just call it a nick name or alias

Nobody would ask questions then - everybody would know what it means
(and the system would be naming system or alias system)

Ps: sure with a fun name youā€™re in the same situation (kind of) but at least Nobody would wrongly assume heā€™d know precisely what it is :man_shrugging:

I donā€™t think they will. If asked in a GUI form to pick a nick name theyā€™ll probably think, "what, a nick name for me? For my profile? Like ā€œJimmyā€?

Itā€™s gonna need context, and more explanation, and to translate well etc. Whereas Iā€™d wager thereā€™d be far less confusion with Domain Name, as itā€™s so extensively used.

But again, can be tested.

If thatā€™s the case in all English speaking areas then thatā€™s probably a smart move - but when i mention our company domain server in a conversation with close to anybody here in Germany I will just end up with someone staring at me and telling me that I cannot expect others to be IT professionalsā€¦ So at least with people here this will just generate confusion and the feeling of not being the target audience for this technology

Possible that using Domain Server might be the alienating bit.

But back to what we call the entity. If you have any suggestions (which Iā€™m totally open to hearing), they can be tested too.

Iā€™m not saying Domain Name is perfect. There wonā€™t be the perfect solution, but just one that is the most understandable/recognisable for the most people, given the context.

I mentioned the domain server because thatā€™s the ā€˜most common caseā€™ you could use domain here and have people nod because they know what you talk about (and not mean just the name to ip resolution)

Ps:

The problem is that I donā€™t know a perfect solution eitherā€¦ But if you want to target the average people on the street youā€™d probably be more successful here with something more figurative

• network identity
  • network identification name
  • network name
  • safenet name
  • alias
  • global reference
  • personal link
  • SAFE ID (with little description what it comes with - because itā€™s needed anyway - even if people know about domain names they will check back to make sure they donā€™t interpret it wrong :man_shrugging:)

I think we can rule out any with reference to Identity or SAFE ID, as they will be the preserve of identifying individual people and profiles etc via WebID/SafeID. Thatā€™d be a whole mess of confusion.

1 Like

Unless the simplest will be for us to have one entity, rather than one for domain and another for WebID. We should consider that - rolling all these functions into identity might be the cleanest and most easily understood UX.

Going back, I donā€™t think domain is well known so Iā€™m interested to see how tests on that pan out.

My guess is that people donā€™t understand domain, but instead would get ā€˜website nameā€™ or ā€˜web addressā€™ and ā€˜email addressā€™, but go blank with anything including ā€˜domainā€™.

I donā€™t think these map well to the entity on SAFE, so while I agree it would be best to do that, Iā€™m not convinced that domain will achieve this.

Which leads me back to wondering about using ā€˜SAFE WebIDā€™ as a catch all, and then to hang services/functions off this (ie your SAFE WebID is a friendly name you can use to publish websites, for email, to share files, and as an identity for social networks, chat applications, and for sharing information about yourself on those services in the form of a user profile).

I understand that technically a WebID is made up of the more granular ā€˜domainā€™ entity (plus subNames) - but is it useful to expose that in UI?

I think the domain (the entity weā€™re discussing) will be the layer above these other functions/things, and be the starting point for how these other things are addressed.

In my mind, from a UX point of view, Itā€™s useful to be able to separate out the use of these functions, and in particular SafeID/WebID as a way to addressā€”or identifyā€”an individual person or entity. As opposed to just addressing any class of data.

Itā€™s likely that weā€™ll have a form of address thatā€™ll make that useful and obvious. I.e. @<subdomain>.<domain> is where Iā€™d find a SafeID profile, and itā€™d also be the address I could message/email an individual, or mention them in a forum, or send them some safecoins.

I know I can get to your website by typing in happy.being in the address bar; and I could also message you with @happy.being; or see your contact information, link through to all your latest commits on your profile, by dropping in @happy.being in the browser address bar.

So the SafeID address is built from a domain, but does a different job from a website address, and has more context than just a flat domain.

I think itā€™s handy to be able to call them different things in this case, but still know they are related.

I think you are now arguing for the technical reality over the simplest UX. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Iā€™m suggesting that by using the whole WebID or something like that as the starting entity (instead of domain which is a technical building block) explaining, learning and understanding may be easier.

Example using SAFE Name as the entity:

• your SAFE Name is a friendly name you can use to publish websites, for email, to share files, and as an identity for social networks, chat applications, and for sharing information about yourself on those services in the form of a user profile

But rather than create this in two steps (domain, sub domain), we start with the general case which will be like WebID in almost all respects, so creating a SAFE Name will always result in me.<something>, but we donā€™t refer to the separate parts. This is a SAFE Name, and it implies a SAFE WebID with user profile (eg safe://me.<something>/card#me).

Once you have this, it provides default forms for email <anything>@me.<something> or @me.<something>.

While for websites you will have an address ready at safe://www.<something> perhaps already populated with a simple homepage (optional checkbox during creation?).

Can you outline the equivalent UX workflow you have in mind for 'domainā€™? Maybe Iā€™m not seeing how you plan to lead a user through that process.

If we go in the other direction - create a domain, add a website, I think it is letting the technical detail drive the UX. By calling it a name or an identity rather than a domain, I think it is clearer that this leads onto things like email, website and other services. I think people are more likely to get concepts ā€˜your name on SAFEā€™ than ā€˜a domain for SAFEā€™ when making these very early steps.

1 Like

Oh, I have a habit of arguing round in circles until things become clearā€¦ if you go round long enough eventually contradictions wear off :grinning:

I do my best to try and put my self in the position of the user, but absorb the technical landscape enough to be able to hopefully at least get a feel for the limits. Threads like this are enormously helpful.

The UX flow in detail for this we havenā€™t quite come to yet (from an account creation or publishing POV anyway) weā€™re working through some read-only scenarios at the moment which will help inform all this later as well.

But from a more broad perspective we try to think in terms of user being a single unique human, who may have multiple identities (a way of presenting a form of themselves to others): some identifying their unique self directly, some pseudonymous. And of course not forgetting an internal life that isnā€™t associated externally with any identity.

They may also have a multitude of files, some public, some privately shared, that they may chose to associate with one of those identities, or not be associated with an identity at all.

So there needs to be the flexibility for an individual to maintain and publish content in and accessible and human readable way, without the need to create an identity, but create and share or publish with an identity if they choose to.

A building block of this is the thing we are referring to as a domain or name etc.

I might have an identity that publishes to many different domains; or I might have many domains serving up information that isnā€™t associated with any individual or organisation at all.

I think the most useful initial starting point for many people will be to create a human readable address capable of receiving/send safecoins; or private messages. A pretty good starting point for most Iā€™d have thought. But I donā€™t think we should be assuming that is the case for everyone, nor that ā€˜identityā€™ is the best place to startā€¦ it probably should be opt in to identity (be that private or public) rather than opt out.

(Then thereā€™s also subtleties like one-way only communication, and how people will address that)

So Iā€™m still talking myself into the core of this being the name/domain; not the identity.

I may chose to create an account, and have a bunch of human accessible addresses publishing information in the form of safe://:

safe://sports
safe://politics
safe://arts

Maybe I have a real identity, which publishes to these (in the form of @<anything>, and itā€™s @realme. I have a SafeID profile set up at safe://@realme that makes that link explicit. Iā€™m the owner of those names/domains, and the comments and posts blogs are published as @realme.

Other users can get in touch via @realme or messages will get also through on a specific context via @politics

Then I have another which is @fakeme. I allow @fakeme to gust publish on safe://sports sometimes, just for fun.

But then I have another site safe://fishinganonymous which isnā€™t associated with any of my identities, nor with any other user, entity or persona. It has no published SafeID profile, It just publishes stuff about fishing, but readers still send in anonymous tips by addressing @fishinganonymous.

A bit of a long reply, sorry!

Nothing in this is precluded by the approach you set out, but how we create the language, or workflow around these terms, starts to build a mental model for users that effects and forms UX, so needs careful thought and attention, so great that itā€™s getting it here.

1 Like