SAFE CLI subcommand suggestions: reset and uninstall

It would be helpful if I could simply run safe uninstall and have all vault data, preferences, and other files written to the filesystem throughout using SAFE removed along with the binaries. (safe-cli, safe-authd, safe-vault)

A useful counterpart to that subcommand would reset state without removing the binaries.

4 Likes

Nice suggestions. Iā€™ve added a couple of separate issues for these:

1. Add uninstall command
  2. Add reset command
3 Likes

@StephenC,
/cc @bochaco, @joshuef, @dirvine,

As the reset and uninstall subcommands will modify and potentially delete user data, what expectations would you have of the implementations?

hmmmm, good Q.

Iā€™d expect uninstall to warn what it will delete at a prompt (which coudl be overriden by a flag). Perhaps a confirmation therafter depending on how strongly worded/informative we want the warning to be.

As far as I know, weā€™re aiming to have installs of CLI based things/ config and apps to be in ~/.safe dir generally. So it should most likely be just removing thatā€¦

Iā€™m not sure if it would/should attempt to detect other apps (eg browser). Even if it did eventually, iā€™d certainly not expect it in an initial impl.

I wonder if it needs to be a ā€œsecureā€ delete? Overwriting a few times (or that can be an option laterā€¦ iā€™m also not sure how much that increases security)

Thatā€™s off the top of my head.

ā€œResetā€ is likely looking to setup as a clean install and not remove the installed apps just user data?

2 Likes

@joshuef

Thank you for your helpful reply.

uninstall will likely build atop reset in some fashion so Iā€™ll begin with reset. Iā€™ll address your important question of detecting other Safe apps, such as the browser, at that time.

Regarding reset and the deletion of local user data, as I donā€™t yet know what all is persisted locally, would it be permanently destructive of more than configuration and preference files? Iā€™m assuming it wouldnā€™t affect user data stored in Safe in any way, and wallets could be reinitialized by simply authenticating with the userā€™s keys.

Optional secure delete is a great idea and I suspect we could leverage OS API for it on some platforms. Iā€™ll get the basic reset functionality in place first and then revisit it.

2 Likes

@moderators

Please change the title of this thread to ā€œSAFE CLI subcommand suggestions: reset and uninstallā€.

1 Like

safe reset will revert all local file and directory creation made by Safe. To revert, all points of file and directory creation, of any repo of https://gitlab.com/safenetwork, must be cataloged.

To build the catalogue, Iā€™ll search the repos for the use of any API known to create files or directories. API known to create files or directories:

• std::fs::DirBuilder::create
  • std::fs::File::create
  • std::fs::File::with_options
  • std::fs::OpenOptions::create
  • std::fs::OpenOptions::create_new
  • std::fs::OpenOptions::open
  • std::fs::copy
  • std::fs::create_dir
  • std::fs::create_dir_all
  • std::fs::hard_link
  • std::fs::soft_link
  • std::fs::write

If you know of others in use in Safe repos, please reply with a link to a line of code.

Just use diff

I could diff my FS before and after some Safe usage, however itā€™s likely that it wouldnā€™t reveal all, especially lazily-created, files and directories. The better place to run diff checking is on test/CD/CI infrastructure as that should exercise the codebase more than any other, and therefore reveal lazily-created files and directories.

Limitations

The initial scope of this implementation will revert only file and directory creation in Safeā€™s repos. A complete catalogue would require that the entire dependency graph of Safeā€™s crates be searched.

safe reset is prone to becoming stale over time as code using file and directory creation API is added. Iā€™d appreciate anyoneā€™s ideas for maintaining safe reset's consistency with the codebase, preferably without manual developer intervention. My current best idea is for a test/CD/CI diff task comparing diff results with a file and directory creation ā€˜manifestā€™ config file which lists the files and directories safe reset deletes.

1 Like

It shouldnt affect data on safe. Locally weā€™re persisting CLI auth, eg. But you can get that again via logging in. So you should be fine there.

cc @lionel.faber @bochaco, not sure if you have any ideas of other file locations beyond tmp and ~/.safe weā€™re using at the mo? I know the drive is for all things in ~/.safe but just to be sureā€¦

2 Likes

@joshuef

IMHO hard-coded paths is outdated. Well-formed programs targetting *nix OSs should adhere to XDG Base Directory Specification with more details and examples at XDG Base Directory - ArchWiki. Not only would that respect common conventions, it would also respect a userā€™s orderly FS layout preferences. In my experience with *BSD and Linux it works very well.

Perhaps I could add that in the future.

We used to use XDG and changed it for storing things under ~/.safe/, which other apps also do. This way showed it was way simpler and easier for users to find and know what apps are storing, and itā€™s consistent across platforns. XDG is a bit confusing when it comes to diff platforms, also IIRC data and config of an app go to completelly diff folders paths. This is a personal comment and how I see it for testing though, for sure we should adhere to standards in the future if thatā€™s found better, but again some other apps took this path too like git or cargo i think.

3 Likes

@joshuef

Is there an example of any other subcommand that prompts the user similarly to how safe reset will need to prompt the user for confirmation?

1 Like

Draft ready WIP: feat(cli): implements 'safe reset' subcommand.

1 Like

Sorry @anon78698497, totally missed your prev Q. Will have a look today at the draft!

:bowing_man:

1 Like