How can I start in the development of the safe network?

If you are currently a developer on the network

What would you suggest starting with in order to build an understanding of the foundation code base?

I’ve looked through a lot of the code, it is a massive project with many facets.

It’d be nice to have some suggestions/comments from the community

My answer depends on where you are coming from: existing skills and experience for example, and where you’d like to get to: what you’d like to learn, build, platforms (device/OS) you want to target. Can you give a few clues at this point in either area?

1 Like

What would you suggest starting with in order to build an understanding of the foundation code base?

Fix me: Stuck at "Waiting For Authorisation" with web-hosting-manager-v0.1.0-linux-x64-mock · Issue #186 · maidsafe-archive/safe_examples · GitHub

Plus I want to host a site on the SAFE Network as soon as possible, so if anyone can make permanent network, no matter how small, I’m game for it.

3 Likes

My background is mainly web based development. Front and backend. Have some experience with networking as well.

Eventually I’d like to build applications that run on the safe network.

Can’t see any mention of it in the developer update but did the team manage to fix this issue? In my experience and that of @folaht and others, the authenticator doesn’t work in quite a few Linux distros. By the way I tried it in Ubuntu 17.04 (fresh install) and it worked, whereas in 15.04 (existing installation) and in Debian 8 (fresh install) it didn’t.

1 Like

Hi @JPL @folaht, we are working on it, but given that part of the root cause seems to be in the lower layers it’s impacting several upper layers thus testing takes quite some time. We will certainly update the ticket when we are confident it is solved.

1 Like