safe-cli error: Failed to find the contact info of the genesis vault

The error is generated by safe vault run-baby-fleming -t using safe-cli 0.12 and safe_vault 0.24.0.

How can the error be resolved?

When I built them a week or two ago they were both v0.24 so maybe you have incompatible versions.

Try ā€˜safe updateā€™?

1 Like

@happybeing

When I tried the latest version of safe-cli, SAFE Browser was unable to connect to the network. I assumed the cause was that the newest versions were only compatible with vaults from home, which I cannot run. Do you know if thatā€™s correct?

The browser hasnā€™t been updated so the CLI is the only way to interact with the current vault/network at the moment.

You can make your own network until the next public one is up with one command (see run a local network).

I only tried this recently. It just works and is very useful.

1 Like

@happybeing

You can see from the command I ran that that is indeed what Iā€™m attempting to do. Can you confirm that it works for you with the latest versions?

There was an important change in vault in latest release (to support ā€œvaults from homeā€) so the CLI was updated to handle a new form of launching the vaults, therefore you need latest CLI v0.14.0 to use vault v0.24.0

1 Like

@bochaco

Why does safe-cli 0.12.0ā€™s vault install install an incompatible version of the vault?

Can the latest versions of SAFE software be used to run a local development network?

We donā€™t support that kind of smart versioning updates yet (just about priorities and resources). CLI 0.14.0 and safe-authd v0.0.10 is what you need with vault 0.24.0, other apps like Browser and SNAPP were not updated to work with them yet.

1 Like

@bochaco

Exactly as I had suspected and perfectly reasonable.

I donā€™t comprehend this part of your reply. If I begin with safe-cli 0.14.0, will vault install and auth install choose compatible versions for a local development network?

Yes it should install the latest vault and latest authd. The Browser needs an update to be able to connect to latest vault, hopefully soon we will be able to release a new Browser.

1 Like

@bochaco

Does that mean that currently the only way to set up a local development environment is to separately install compatible versions rather than using safe-cli to manage the component installations? safe-cli 0.12.0, safe-vault 0.23.0, safe-authd 0.0.8, and SAFE Browser 0.17.0-alpha.11, for example, which is what a currently working environment I have is running.

Only if you are interested in using the Browser. If not, a new browser should be available soon enough.

1 Like

@bochaco

Yes, ATM Iā€™m developing SAFE Browser-based web apps. Thank you and @happybeing.

This much back-and-forth is wasteful of our time and any hinderance to development of and for SAFE is undesirable.

When I created https://safenetforum.org/t/download-safes-latest-versions/30904 it was considered useful enough that MaidSafe fortunately took over maintaining it. If I created a similar topic here on the developer forum that enumerated the latest compatible versions of SAFEā€™s software for setting up a local development environment, would MaidSafe be willing to take over maintaining it as well? IMHO it would be very helpful to be able to go to one topic and know exactly which versions of each tool one may install to have a working local development environment.

1 Like

Normally it should be the case that just ā€œall latest versionsā€ work, there are and will always be some transition moments like now where we couldnā€™t keep up with all apps released, but those should be the least of the occasions, they will be less and less as the code stabilises as new apps should still be compatible, in any case, this is the price to pay by early developers, but thatā€™s also what makes you part of this process rather than just an early adopter/user :wink:
BTW this are all very personal opinions.

1 Like

@bochaco

Understood, and thanks again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.